Friday, April 3, 2009

Truth and Fear

There is a certain genius to Christianity. And, no, I am not talking about the Bible supposedly being the holy word of God. The genius is in its followers and the myriad of religious systems established to protect each system and to keep its followers trapped within. Each denomination, each branch and, in some cases, each church has its own form of truth. And, in many cases, each of them would be willing to die for that supposed truth ... or at least condemn all the others to an eternal hell for not quite getting it right. I suppose we could say the genius, the thing that tends to trap most believers, comes in two forms: what they know and what they fear.

Each Christian sect just happens to know the absolute truth about things that the rest of mankind still wrestles with. They know that there is an afterlife. They know what it will be like. They even know how to get there. Most of the rest of mankind sits back and wonders, "Will there be life after death?" The Christian, on the other hand, simply knows. There is a wonderful comfort (for some) in knowing. And there is a certain, dare I say it, pride in knowing things that other people only guess at. One man may be at his wit's end because he is contemplating life after death, but the Christian is secure in his or her belief that they know what awaits them.

The afterlife is not the only thing the Christian supposes he knows absolutely. He also claims to know that God exists for a fact. There is no doubt and they even know for certain which god, out of the myriad of gods that have supposedly existed, is the true God. They know it so strongly that many would be willing to lay down their lives for this fact. And many have done just that, all the while forgetting that there are others as equally convinced as they are about their own gods. In fact, the Muslim may have, in recent years, cornered the market on laying down one's life for their God.

But god and the afterlife aren't all the Christian believes he knows as an absolute fact. He also believes that he knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, how to convince this God to allow him to inherit this afterlife. Books are written on the subject. Tracts are handed out in large quantities attempting to explain the process to those who may not have this precious knowledge. Classes are held in church auditoriums to instruct the masses on how to best get the message across and how to deal with this or that objection. Web sites are populating the Internet both to push the message of salvation as well as to equip the saints with the tools to go forth into all the world.

But the problem is that each of these groups, each armed with absolute truth, differs greatly from each other in what they believe. In other words, one group's truth contradicts another's in such a way that both cannot be right. In fact, often one such group will call the other heretical and warn that their doctrine is straight from the pit of hell! But being armed with the truth is not the only thing that keeps Christians within the walls of their chosen denominations. No, there is that other element: fear.

Part of the genius of the Christian system is that the believer has much to fear and, as we all know, fear is a good motivator to keep people in line. The Bible tells people that they are to fear God. In fact, it is this fear of God that the Bible calls the beginning of wisdom. To not fear God is to be a fool, thus demonstrating one's lack of wisdom. Many Christian denominations recognize that the word fear is something that people don't like and so they try to tone it down a bit. They try to alter the word's meaning, interpreting it to me reverence. However, fear becomes a prime motivator within the sect.

Many Christians, whether they want to admit it or not, feel fear for a variety of reasons. They may become fearful that they have let their God down if they have not been faithfully witnessing to the lost about Christ. Depending on which denomination the Christian is from, they may fear losing their own salvation, their mode of entrance into heaven and their ability to please God, if they have sinned in some small way. There are so many ways to become fearful in Christianity and these factors can lay heavily on the mind of the faithful.

But it is not just the fear of God that may motivate people within these denominations. Often the Christian leaders themselves will capitalize on this. In some churches, people have to dress a certain way. If their skirt or dress is too far above the ankle, then they are led to believe they are displeasing God. If they are not tithing or giving to missions, then they are led to feel inadequate before the Almighty. If you weren't baptized according to a specific method or if the three names of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) were not invoked, then perhaps their baptism was not good enough! Don't attend church often enough? Do you miss a few meetings during the week? Then you might be apostate!

And then there is another element added into the mix. There is this super being that is absolute evil called the devil, Lucifer or Satan. He is said to be going about seeking whom he may devour and, as luck would have it, he is after you! He is not only invisible, but he can even plant thoughts into your mind, trying to twist you and turn you toward his evil ways! So who knows where that thought you just had came from? Was it ... the devil?!?

But the fear doesn't stop there. Not only is the believer to fear god, not only do church leaders often use fear as a means of achieving their own ends, not only does Christianity claim to have some invisible, demonic being that is hell-bent on your destruction, but the believer cannot even trust their own thoughts and intuition! The very heart of a man is said, by the Bible, to be deceitful above all things and is desperately wicked! He is told that he is no good because none are good, no not one! The end result is that a man has to even fear his own self!

So this strange dichotomy is achieved in Christianity. On the one hand, the believer feels good believing that they have all the important answers. On the other hand, they are, in many cases, kept from questioning the supposed answers because of fear. Fear keeps them in line. Fear keeps them from questioning. After all, who wants to be wrong and end up in hell for all eternity?

But when someone examines the many, many Christian beliefs out there, each saying that they are the way to life, then one has to wonder which one, if any, is true? Is baptism essential to salvation? Depends on which denomination you belong to and which verses of the Bible you use to support you system of belief. Does it matter which church I attend? Some churches teach that salvation is only achieved through their organization. Do I need to speak in tongues? Again, it depends. Are other sign gifts essential to proving my salvation? Is God a trinity, a tri-unity, a unity or not? Should I be dipped, sprinkled or have the water poured on me when baptized? What if I was led to the Lord by a translation other than the good ol' King James Version of the Bible? And even if I was, does it matter if it is the Oxford or Cambridge editions? And which year? If my church worships on a day other than Sunday or if they don't have a Sunday evening service, does that mean we are apostate? What if we sing to contemporary music or worship songs? What if we don't? What if we use a particular hymnal over another (after all, some of these hymnals have music in them that is questionable!)? What if some of the women wear pants? What if the pastor or priest is a woman? What if ... what if ... what if ...

I am sure that many Christians will dispute the things that I am saying here. No one readily likes to admit that they are fearful. However, I have counseled a lot of people while I was a Christian and I have talked to quite a few that have left the faith. There was one common thread ... fear. Frankly, some people are afraid to question their own faith because they fear the answers they might find. If it turns out that the Christian God is not real, then what does that mean about heaven? Wouldn't that mean that those absolute answers may not be true? Fear.

And then there is fear about what others will think or do if you question the faith. They might look at you as apostate! They might see you as demonically deceived! It is easier to keep on keeping on within the faith then to question it. So questions about the faith are often thrown into the back of the mind and forgotten ... or so you think. These questions have a way of coming out again. But fear is a good tool to suppress them. At least for a while.

Why am I writing about this? It's simple. I was thinking about it. These are my thoughts. It is interesting, despite all the things that I am going though, that I am not afraid. I have stepped out from under that shadow and it is good. And, no, I don't have the answers to things like life after death or whether or not there is a divine being. But that's OK as well. For whatever reason, I am quite satisfied with not knowing. Instead of looking for a sweet life in the hereafter, I am invigorated by each new day ... living in the here and now! Life is exciting, not because of a promise of a life to come, but because I am alive at this moment!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The concept of fear of god is not unique to Christianity. Islam has it too and they don't even bother to prettify it. They call it taqwa.

--
ex-muslim

Anonymous said...

I have often pictured 'TRUTH' as a garden on a hill. There's no fence around it . . . it's open to all. But Christians and all their denominations have come and pounded in gate posts and shouted to one and all, 'The only way into the garden of 'TRUTH' is through our gate'. And the Muslims have done the same and the Hindus and the Mormons and even some Buddhists all proclaiming that they have the only way into the Garden of 'TRUTH'. In fact there are so many gates that to get into the garden you have to slide between the posts. But the beautiful garden is just there, open to one and all, and you need no lable or gate to get in and enjoy the beauty. So feel free, eh?
John

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

The second Anonymous comment reminds me of the old song One Tin Soldier.

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago,
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below.

On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone,
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill,
Asking for the buried treasure,
Tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom,
"With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain,
All the riches buried there."

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Now the valley cried with anger,
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people,
So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,
On the mountain, dark and red.
Turned the stone and looked beneath it...
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I am sorry you left the faith. I would like you to post not what is wrong with the church, because any born-again Christian can do that. I am a born again Christian and I myself see many things wrong in churches and I myself have many questions. I know many Christians who also feel the same way but continue being apart of the church because of their relationship with the Lord. I believe because the Lord has convicted me through his Holy Spirit and the Bible that Jesus is the only way, truth and life to God the father and eternal salvation. Augustine said "We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse."

Dan, instead of writing about the bad things Christians do, which are many because Christians still sin too, would you please state why you do not believe that the God of the Bible is who he says he is and why you do not believe that Jesus is God in flesh, the promised Messiah sent by God to make atonement for the sins of mankind.

It is only normal that Christians and non-Christians have questions about the misuse and abuse of what is written in the Bible, by certain people claiming to know the Lord. I am glad that people are considering their own actions and other people's actions.

However, Dan, do not tell us why you left the church, but why you stopped having a relationship with the Lord. One can have a great relationship with the Lord and go to a bad church and one can also have a poor relationship with the Lord and go to great church. Tell us why you left the Lord, without mentioning Christians. Where did the Lord go wrong? Where did the Lord let you down? Where did the Lord fail you?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that last commenter kind of missed the point, didn't he?

Dan, I've been reading your blog for some time now. The whole issue with you and your family is very sad and I hope that things work out for you, and that you are one day able to move on from this.

I have to say that the story of your deconversion is facinating. I was also once a (somewhat) religious person who deconverted. Fortunately for me I discovered after my deconversion that most of my family were atheists. You're posts regarding the philosophical side of your deconversion are always worth the read. I hope that after your legal troubles are settled that you will consider continuing this blog in some form, even if only for the benefit of others that find themselves in a similar situation to your own.

DJ said...

ok it is just sad that all but one (mike) have posted long messages to dan, but yet...are afriad to give themselves a name. that's cowardly.

Anonymous said...

Where did the Lord go wrong? Where did the Lord let you down? Where did the Lord fail you?

I reject your premise. Extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary evidence.

What Lord?

MEM said...

ok it is just sad that all but one (mike) have posted long messages to dan, but yet...are afriad to give themselves a name. that's cowardly.

What a delightful non-response, "DJ". Exactly how, in your opinion, would the validity (or irrelevance) of those comments be affected prefaced with a name? How is it that two letters somehow lend your post more credibility than the longer, more thoughtful anonymous ones it follows?

While you're at it, perhaps you'd care to share the specific method by which you divined that those posters in question declined to provide a name out of fear and cowardice?

Bravely signing my own initials,
MEM

Freedom_of_Mind said...

I agree (to an extent). Any name could be used and it doesn't have to be a real one. So what difference is there between a name and Anonymous? However, there is a difference between these (fake names and anonymous names) and those that provide links to who they are (like Mike aka Monolith TMA). However, not everyone has the ability to do that. Not everyone has a blog, etc.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I always hate the anonymous attack comments, they do seem rather cowardly. Anonymous support comments are fine in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

What Lord you ask?

The one Dan rejected when he left the faith. The Lord of the Bible.

Obviously, when Dan committed his life to Jesus, he committed his life to a being, an entity, with feelings and emotions. The God of the Bible is not depicted simply as a "force".

When Dan accepted Jesus as his Lord, he did so not because someone forced him, but because He felt convicted that the Lord existed and therefore was able to enter into a relationship with this "person".

I guess the proper question is, Dan, what made you first believe that God existed, and then that that God was the God of the Bible, and then what convinced you that either God does not exist or that He is not the God of the Bible?

Ender said...

Same thing that convinced all of us who have deconverted from our parents' faith: we rose to the top of the Christian fish bowl and peered out.

Freedom_of_Mind said...

Obviously, when Dan committed his life to Jesus, he committed his life to a being, an entity, with feelings and emotions. The God of the Bible is not depicted simply as a "force".

Most people that has placed their trust in a divine being believe that they committed their lives to a being (or beings), an entity (or entities), with feelings and emotions. The Muslim believes that Allah is a personal being with feelings. The primitive in the jungle believes that their gods feel and express such things as anger. The ancient worshipers of the Norse gods, the Greek gods and the Egyptian gods also believed the same thing.

Just because someone believes a god or gods are real and believes that these deities are personal beings with feelings does not make them real. And just because someone, at one point and time in their lives, believes that these deities are real does not mean that they were right.

I committed myself to something that I, at that time, believed to be real. This is no different than the sincere Muslim of today or the ancient Greek of his day. But I have since discovered that what I once believed to be true is not. So I have moved on.

DJ said...

Dearest "MEM"....
Before you go running your mouth, maybe you should stop and consider DJ may be my real name? In fact, this is what I am known as by most of those who know me.
But it's whatever. I'm not going to sit here and start a debate about posting as anonymous or posting intials...ect. I mean, if it wasn't for news clippings, how would we even know that DAN was using his real name?
Specific method that was used... uh, well people come here and continuously bash Dan Silverman, without knowing who he is, what he's been through, but then don't give themselves a name. To me, and I suspect many others, is very cowardly.
Anonymous posters say things like, "I would like you to post..."
or "tell us why". Well, ya know what? If you don't like what Dan says or does not say on his blog - then it's a simple solution. Don't read it.
*sigh* so much drama...

MEM said...

@DJ
Before you go running your mouth, maybe you should stop and consider DJ may be my real name?

So what? That has not the slightest effect on the validity of your posts.

people come here and continuously bash Dan Silverman, without knowing who he is, what he's been through, but then don't give themselves a name. To me, and I suspect many others, is very cowardly.

As before, if they present well-reasoned opinions, or genuine requests for clarification, it matters not a whit whether they use a name or not. Likewise, drive-by flames, even those with real names and email addresses, can be dismissed out of hand.

If you don't like what Dan says or does not say on his blog - then it's a simple solution. Don't read it.

Heh, you must be new to the internet. What fun is posting if everyone agrees? That said, you may misapprehend my position.

While I make no judgments regarding the validity of the charges Dan faces, I have always supported his decision to divest himself of unsupported, superstitious beliefs. Perhaps I should have been more explicit about that in my initial post.

Although I will concede that a poster handle does make an on-going dialog easier, I remain in disagreement with you regarding the "cowardice" of anonymous posters. Credibility is the coin of the realm here. Little else matters.

yunshui said...

The real issue with anonymous postings is keeping track of them. In this thread, for example, Anonymous in comment 1 is a different Anonymous to that in comment 2. Anonymous in comment 4 is someone else again. Anonymous 5 is clearly yet another person, Anonymous 7 may be Anonymous 5 again, but we have no way of knowing, comment 11's Anonymous is presumably Anonymous 4 again... it's no wonder Scientology is so bewildered.

On a different note, I really enjoyed this post, Dan. The fear vs knowledge dichotomy is always an amusing issue (for both Christianity and other faiths). I can't help but think that secretly, their biggest fear may be that their precious unique epistemology might actually be the wrong one...

PC said...

Quite an interesting post there Dan.

As you say, religions work on systematic separatism and a fearship of God (or other supreme being[s]) to capture and hold followers. In order to prevent questions, the "absolute truth" is promulgated widely with any tricky questions sidestepped or answered with the "we can't know since we're not allowed to know".

In the current popular theology we have a supposed God who is omnipotent and omniscient. I expect in ancient times people compared God to say, a King, and gave this God human-like attributes, which is a fairly easily understood concept (at least, 2000 years ago it was).

Since God was omnipotent the only way God's Will could be thwarted was that another being (which people know as Satan) exists that could temporarily thwart God's Will. However, since God's Will is omnipotent, it's God's Will that this being be able to thwart God's Will. So, in effect it's God's fault we're "in sin" from the start, since God didn't use the power of foreknowledge to prevent this unfortunate outcome.

If we believe in a theology of a vengeful, angry, jealous God (say, of the Bible) then it makes sense. However, not even parents these days are quite this insane to condemn their own children like this. Even presuming God did set it up like this, the conditions are capricious and arbitrary depending on what religion you believe in, meaning you can never be sure if you've passed or not until you're dead. I would have thought the capricious ability of priests to give "plenary indulgences" would have twigged people off that these conditions were all made up, particularly when they were "revised" for the times.

Once you start logically thinking about it (which religions don't like, since they profess to know the absolute truth, closing off the avenue to thinking) most religions start falling apart at the seams and only FUD keeps them going. It's a necessity to keep themselves alive, and I believe many people inside have a form of Stockholm Syndrome which prevents them from truly seeing objectively the true nature of religion.

I have friends who are in similar situations as Dan, in that the religion they attended was slowly suffocating them with fear and other unstable elements. Like Dan, after they left they felt much much better (albeit, they didn't have them on their case like Dan did). Once you are "out" of the religion you have a chance to reflect and contemplate.

Speaking to other people it is surprising how many are not true atheists but could be more correctly fitted into pantheism, pandeism, deism or agnostic (or others). For example, they believe in a God like Creative force, however not one that is classically described in the Bible or other religious texts that has human like attributes.

For example, pantheism believes that the Universe = God, so by extension everyone is a part of God. By removing the fallacy of separatism and superiority, you find that morally it is difficult to justify killing, cruelty, and so on, even to animals and plants. I'm sure researching more can confirm what belief structure people have if not in a religion.

Waldo92 said...

what made you first believe that God existed, and then that that God was the God of the Bible, and then what convinced you that either God does not exist or that He is not the God of the Bible?My story is that I was raised in a Catholic family, went to Christian schools, Christian summer camp etc etc. As a teenager I was born-again. I had a personal relationship with God. He was real and I loved him.

While in college and thereafter, I became interested in the sciences, particularly astronomy and astrophysics. I truly wanted to understand God's creation via science. But the more I learned, the more I found contradictions between God's story and science's story.

I continued to study biblical history and apologetics as well as other religions. My religious views were evolving during this 10 year period. My "truth" of what God is was constantly changing to fit in the gaps of what I knew scientifically.

In the end, I had to admit to myself that I no longer believed.

As a child, I analyzed a note from Santa Claus and deduced that it was my mother's handwriting. My deconversion process really wasn't much different.

The evidence for the scientific story of creation is all around you, you just have to be willing to accept what you learn.

Waldo92 said...

As a footnote to my deconversion story, I should note that fear played a big role.

If I didn't fear hell, didn't fear retribution from the community I grew up in, or didn't fear the backlash from my own family, I probably would have deconverted much earlier. It was fear of these things that forced me constantly mold my vision of God.

Eventually, the gaps where God lived grew too small, and I feared what I would become if I continued to live a lie.

I am now openly atheistic and I am free from the intellectual prison of religion.