This year, I am sitting in my small apartment alone without even the familiar noise of my children running around. It is a sad silence, to be sure. I am not writing this to draw sympathy from anyone. I am simply stating things in order to show the contrast between recent years gone by and today. Things are certainly different for me, that is for sure! To emphasize that difference, here is a photo of me from a few years ago, teaching about the Passover at Heritage Baptist Church:
Yes, life was different then, but was it better? In many ways, yes! It was! I had my children all around me and that brought me immense joy! I at least believed that my wife loved me and that she would love me no matter what. I was surrounded by people who also said that they loved me. All of this certainly helped to make a person feel good, respected and wanted. But all of that changed the day I left the faith.But what about today? Are things worse? I suppose that one could say that they are. After all, I don't have my children with me, my wife apparently wants nothing to do with me and I am facing a trial in which I could end up in jail! That is all bad, certainly. But my life is better in many ways. I know this may sound strange to many of you. I can see people thinking something like, "How can life possibly be better in the face of all that?"
Life is better because I am free. Yes, even despite the fact that it is possible that I may go to jail at the end of this month as a result of the accusation against me. I am free because I am no longer bound to the lie that is Christianity. I don't miss god! I don't miss the long sermons at church! I don't miss the times in prayer or the intensive study of the Bible. No, I don't miss any of that. I know that the religion of Christianity is false. What I miss is my family and all the people that used to be my friends. No matter what differences people have, in my mind a friend is a friend! It boggles my mind that a person can so easily shut someone out because they changed their mind about god. And this is especially true concerning my wife.
Whatever any of you believe about me, my wife made a vow before the god that she believes in to stand by me in sickness and in health and in the good times as well as the bad. She even, of her own will, made a vow, quoting from the book of Ruth chapter one, verses 16-17, in which she vowed to go where I go, to lodge where I lodge and to be buried where I am buried. The vow ends with a curse if not upheld by the one swearing it. Does my de-conversion somehow nullify these vows?
Several months ago I asked the DSS case worker if I was allowed to have a supervised visit with my wife. After all, I was able to arrange supervised visits with my children. The DSS worker said, yes, this was possible. I asked her if she would talk to me wife and let her know that I simply wanted to talk to her. I said that one day this entire thing would be over with and that we needed to at least plan for that day. My main concern was the children.
The DSS worker brought my request before my wife. According to her, she asked my wife and she simply refused to reply! So the DSS worker waited another week before asking again. This time my wife simply refused. She was not willing to meet with me even under the watchful eye of DSS! Can you imagine that?
Despite being shunned by my wife, I am, in many ways, happier then I have been in years! Why? Because I can feel again! Emotions of love, joy, happiness and, yes, sadness as well, can freely flood through me! I never realized how dulled my emotions had become while serving the church! I don't think that you can really understand this unless you have experienced it for yourself. I have talked to many people that have left the faith and many tell me that they were surprised at the intensity of the emotions they could feel once they were freed from religion. The Bible tries to tell us that fullness of joy can only be found in Christ, but I have found a more abundant joy outside of him or his church!
I am free, also, because I can think again! I can dream! Everything is open to me now! If I want to be a graphic artist full time and develop my business, I don't need to check in with some god to see if it falls within his supposed will. If I want to go to a movie, I don't have to feel guilty about it or consider it evil. If I want to read a book to just relax, I don't have to check it first to make sure that it agrees with the Bible's standards somehow ... or some obscure standard set by some church leader who thinks they have the corner on what pleases god. I can pick up a book to read because the book is interesting to myself.
And, yes, I can even think about me! Yep, me. In Christianity, to even give yourself a thought can be considered sinful. After all, the Christian is to die to self and to live unto Christ. I now realize that this is not the truth! It is not sinful to consider one's own self. I am not talking about being selfish here and never thinking of anyone else. But I am talking about not neglecting yourself either. I can read a book that I like because I like it and because I want to. And it sure is good to be able to do that and not feel like I sinned before some divine sky being that gets upset if he isn't put first like some spoiled, rotten child!
I am free because I can make friends with someone no matter what they believe. If they are an atheist, they can be my friend. If they are a Christian, they can be my friend. If they are a Buddhist, I can be friends with them, too! I can like someone and hang out with them simply because I like them and want to hang out with them! That is very freeing. In fact, since leaving the church, people have become more wonderful to me no matter who they are or what they believe. People are no longer categorized as either lost or saved. They are simply people ... people who are endowed with dignity simply by virtue of their existence!
I see a mother laugh with her child and I see someone that is good even though they don't know the god of the Bible. I see a husband hug his wife as they walk down the street holding hands. This is good and so are they, despite the fact that they don't believe in god. I take my good friend Chris to the store so that he can get groceries. He doesn't believe in god, either. And I see him as a good man and a good friend. But the Bible would try to tell me that he is evil! The Bible warns about calling good, evil and evil, good, but I have found that it is the Bible itself that is doing this in many cases!
I started this article talking about Passover. And with good reason. Passover is celebrated in Jewish homes as a way of remembering being slaves and then being freed. In my own way, I am also celebrating a passover. I also was once a slave, but now I am free.
29 comments:
An excellent post. I completely understand. I really do. I love how you tied it to Passover.
Freedom is a wonderful and sometimes terrifying thing. Great post!
Your excellent post, Dan, reminded me of My daughter-in-law AJ's sad story of how, after Katrina, the baptist church around the corner from where they lived (It took she and my son 3 days to, with the help of the neighbours, cut themselves out to the main road) got a tractor trailer load of water, food etc. from a church in Texas to help them weather the crisis. They gave these supplies to all of the members of their church but when the Texas church told them they had more to send if they could use it, the pastor told them, 'No, we have all we need'. So even though they hadn't shared anything with non-members of the church, they didn't have to because they didn't belong to their church anyway. That's what you call REAL christian spirit, eh? Unfortunately, that's the way too many christians/churches think. Not all, mind you, but too many. If you're not with them you're agin 'em so screw you . . . in the name of Jesus, of course.
I am curious. You say your wife made a vow before her god, that there was a curse should she not obey, but why is she bound by that? You made a committment to Christ, and you went back on your word, why is she accountable to hers? You are very critcal of her in this post. Your actions have consequences and turning from your "faith" has real and powerful consequences. I don't feel pity for you, which I am sure you do not want anyway, but I am sad for your family.
I am curious. You say your wife made a vow before her god, that there was a curse should she not obey, but why is she bound by that? You made a committment to Christ, and you went back on your word, why is she accountable to hers?
Read your Bible. Look for all the sections on the importance of a vow. Since she believes in god and believes the Bible is his perfect word, then she is bound by its teachings.
As for me, I am not bound by the teachings of the Bible any more than I am bound by the traffic laws of China while I drive down the road here in Virginia. My wife has decided to subjugate herself to biblical law and, as a result, is bound by those laws. Yet she breaks her vow.
For reference:
Numbers 30:1-16
Deuteronomy 23:21-23
The Bible takes a vow as a serious thing. Since she believes the Bible to be true and binding, then she is bound by the vows she made unto me.
But we know that many Christians cherry pick the verses they like to use and not use depending on the situation.
I agree and think that your wife should stand by her vow to you. I believe that every Christian, including myself, that makes a vow before God must maintain that vow no matter the circumstances. I am sorry for your wife. Her whole life has been turned upside down by your changing your mind about what you believe. Everything she thought true about you is a lie now and that must be devestating. That does not release her from her vow. I am praying God will give her the strength and courage to honor her vow to you, for your children and for her own relationship with Christ.
What an amazing coincidence that the harmony of the passover and Messianic atonement harmonized over hundreds of years and several writers in one Book of books! What you taught for many years as an amazing harmony is now just clever writing? not inspired? not amazing? just lies? hmmmmmm. The harmony of the prophets, predictions, fulfilment, scores of accurate passages fulfiled in the Passion Week and Resurrection are all lies...hmmmmm...that doesn't seem logical or freeing.
The radical movement of history relating to the life of Jesus is just the aftermath of a good man? hmmmmmm...that doesn't seem logical.
My inner man attesting to some moral right and wrong, yet Dan says there is no god or GOD....hmmmmm....that doesn't seem logical.
My world around me dominated by order and beauty of design, yet there is no Creator...hmmmm...that doesn't seem logical or freeing...
Dan, will you allow a post from someone who closely knows you?
Tobe Witmer (hows that DJ?)
You have come far from the Heritage extremists to openly accept any Christian, Buddhist, or any other person into your life no matter the differences. May God show the Heritage zealots how they have been deceived and mislead as to what God's true plan is...
Dan knows a lot about vows. He preached a sermon on APRIL 1ST, 2007 all about keeping your promises and vows. He even addressed his wife from the pulpit that he would stick to his vows and be the husband and father that God wanted him to be. This was on April FOOL'S DAY. The Psalmist so aptly put it, "The FOOL hath said in his heart, there is no God."
Dan has come a long way, eh?
wow seems like a lot of scared people from heritage are beginning to be mouthy and judging dan. guess the Bible doesn't preach about that, huh?
but i guess that when you are a cult like congregation like them, it's hard to tell.
It seems that Pastor Witmer has illustrated Dan’s point for him. Whether it is the existence of life in the universe, or human morality, the good pastor is incapable of considering explanations beyond what has been dictated to him by the bible. A freethinker, however, has the freedom to seek and find answers to these questions without being restricted to a single source. Dan has the freedom to call upon the nearly two millennia of advancement in human understanding to broaden his understanding of the universe. That is freedom.
Oh, and “The harmony of the prophets, predictions, fulfilment, scores of accurate passages fulfiled in the Passion Week and Resurrection are all lies...”???? Really? Really??? The bible has got to be one of the most incoherent narratives ever written.
Funny how DJ and the Anonymous posters come out when anyone says anything truthful about Dan. I notice nobody says anything about those Anonymous posters being cowards. Methinks Dan/DJ/Anonymous protests too much. I saw where your court date is coming up soon. Praying for God to show Himself mightily and for His truth to prevail. Praying for your family. Praying for you too, Dan.
Hebrews 10:31
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God
"I notice nobody says anything about those Anonymous posters being cowards."
Here we go again. Obviously anonymous posters are cowards. It couldn't possibly be that they are well aware that the inherently impersonal nature of the internet means that giving yourself a name is meaningless. “Pete”, on the other hand, is really putting himself out there. Your courage is awe inspiring.
Just to give my post a little meaning: my name is Ian. Now everything I say is true.
Just because people put their names and emails on the Internet does not make what they say true either.
the problem with anonymous is that there are so many of them. :) this can get confusing so it would be nice if you at least used some nickname.
That confusion is why I'm not known simply as Mike or Monolith, there were too many out there.
Yeah Dan, if you are going to post anonymously, then at least use a name.
I have never posted a comment here that was not with the Freedom of Mind name.
First I want to say that as a Christian I have freedom of choice. This is called "freewill" I go to movies,read books,watch tv and even go dancing with my husband sometimes. I have been a born again christian since the age of 7. I can't imagine how anyone could deny the existence of a higher power! Do you really think that planets banged together and poof here we are? You may deny God but you still can't deny your existence or even explain it's being.
Your wife seems like a sweet gentle person and does not deserve the hell you are putting your family through!
I have never met you but can only imagine how arrogant you are!
Yes you are very well versed and educated but sadly you blame your sin nature on christianity.
How come you will never address the questions that are posted to you on YOUR BLOG? The only reason I found it was because I googled you to see if your sorry soul had been locked up.
You may "say" you're innocent but this whole smoke screen of de-conversion is just to divert the real sick minded person you truly are.
I am sure that my comment will never be seen on your blog because I am wanting to know some answers to the things you've said for many months now.
Ahh yes, another "loving" Christian. I am so happy the Christians in my life actually are loving and compassionate. Some of these "Christians" that post here make me sick, and I feel that if Jesus is real, they would make him sick too.
Mike, you and Dan make me sick the way you mock God and since God will not be mocked I pity you both.
Where exactly did I mock God?
You, hating your enemies would be truly mocking Jesus now wouldn't it?
Where did I say I hated anyone? I said you and Dan make me sick the way you mock God. You say you do not believe in Jesus, yet you use Him to accuse Christians because they speak the truth.
I would think Christians would be pleased when someone pointed out they weren't following Jesus' commands so they could correct themselves. Is this not so?
You say you do not believe, but you are always very quick to use God and His Word to point out everyone else's sins. Being a Christian means I am saved. It does not mean I am perfect. I know I am a sinner and it is only by the grace of God that He saved me. Christ died once for all. I cannot lose my salvation because I did nothing to earn it. All I did was except by faith Christ's death and resurrection for my sins. If I could lose my salvation, then how would I know when I lost it? That would mean that Christ's death and resurrection was not enough. People can take any scripture out of context to make it say what they want.
"You say you do not believe, but you are always very quick to use God and His Word to point out everyone else's sins."
Really? You may note that I only respond that way when Christians are being judgmental. If a Christian judges me by their book, it is only fair that I rebuke them from that same book. I have many discussions on Christian blogs and never have to do this because they are loving and cordial.
"I cannot lose my salvation because I did nothing to earn it. All I did was except by faith Christ's death and resurrection for my sins. If I could lose my salvation, then how would I know when I lost it? That would mean that Christ's death and resurrection was not enough."
Then I am still saved too.
Yep, if you were born again by the Spirit of God, then you are saved. If not, then you will suffer the wrath and judgment, yes judgment, of God.
Well, at the time I was 100% certain, perhaps I am in, what some call, the dark night of the soul, and my faith will return. I wouldn't count anything out, since I never wanted to be nor would have ever believed in a million years that I would ever be an atheist.
I guess we are even. Over twenty years ago I never thought in a million years I would ever believe in Jesus. I am thankful God saved me and am grateful that in 20 years I am still 100% certain the bible is true. All glory to God.
Post a Comment