Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In the News Again ...

WDBJ7, one of the local news stations in Roanoke, Virginia, aired a short piece of me this evening. The title of the story is:

News7 Exclusive: Former Vinton church leader says he's not a child molester

I am glad that they gave me an opportunity to declare my innocence and that the title reflects this as well. Here is a link to the story:

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=9381008

I just wish they would use some other picture of me.

Update: Maybe they read this blog! They updated the photos. Much nicer. Thank you WDBJ7!

Update: It appears that they have polished the video and re-uploaded it from what aired last night. In the process one line was dropped that was in the original report:

"
Since our first story, many viewers have emailed or called us with a variety of concerns about the church."

The above line is still in the transcript on the same page, though.


12 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Thanks for the update.

Cetta said...

I'm glad your side of the story is getting out there.

I made a post for you on my blog:

http://ritualistic.org/2008/11/20/wow-so-listen-to-this/

Freedom_of_Mind said...

Thank you so much for what you wrote on your blog site, Cetta! I truly appreciate it.

Cetta said...

No problem. I replied to your comment on there. :)

Cetta said...

http://www.hbaptist.org/app/

Is this the church by the way? Cause I'll post the link on my blog.

Cetta said...

"Pastor Barton admits in recent months, church membership has dropped from almost 200 members to less than a hundred. Barton blames the news of the two arrests to drop."

What does people molesting children have to do with a church leaving a congregation? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Unless the people in the congregation see something else going on that they don't like.

Freedom_of_Mind said...

Yes, that is the church.

Daniel Chattan said...

Glad to see the news giving both sides of the story (and the new picture :)). Thanks for the update.

Jason The Bald Guy said...

Dan,

Congratulations for unplugging! In my experience, I found that it was not God, or Jesus that I rejected but the "image" the "golden calf" so to speak that modern Christianity has created. Once I was free of all of the objectification that had built up, I actually could see what truth was.. and the freedom is exhilirating!! Take a moment to pass by my blog and see if we are on the same page... - and I will be praying for you man!.

http://jasonthebaldguy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Having followed a link about the manipulation and coercion people can undergo when they try to leave their church I found your blog.
I felt compelled to offer a word of encouragement.
You are experiencing what many have found who don't believe in god or have lost their faith. What's called the 'lying for Jesus' tactic.
The religious make a big deal about how moral they are - how religion is necessary for morality; and then they have no compunction about misrepresenting and uttering downright falsehoods about those who don't agree with them or go their own way.
It is especially heart-breaking that your own wife should engage in such behaviour. That they would stoop to accusing you of molestation is particularly low.
Stay strong. Even if they succeed in the short-term I hope that people will soon come to see the truth.
Let's hope your children who know you best will trust in their own experience of you.
It just goes to show the truth behing the saying that it takes religion to make a good person act in a wicked way.

Shannon said...

That is sad that a church who claims to love God and love others as God would love them would do such horrible acts against another human. I'm sorry you left the church; however, with a church like that who would want to be part of it? Everyone should be loved for who they are as a person and where they are in life unconditionally.I know you don't believe, but I pray for the best outcome for you and your journey through this horrible time. I can sense you are a strong man and pray that all these accusations will end. Stay strong and stay true to what you believe. This is a church God does not look down in favor with!

Anonymous said...

a lot of people left Heritage Baptist Church when Dan and the other man Dean Stone were arrested. I have heard from some that is not the reason they left. It's just that their eyes were finally opened to how the pastor handles things. HE is the real culprit. Of course people stay in a GOOD church when bad things happen. It happens all the time. But in this case, it's the pastor, Bob Barton, that really showed his lying, wicked side. Believe me, he is a deceiver. And the members that are still there, the deceived!I'm still praying that many eyes will be opened before they are hurt anymore spiritually than they are.